Budesonide is a corticosteroid-type preparation for improving the permeability of respiratory tracts. Its action is based on the relaxing effect on the smooth muscles of the airways.
Chemically, budesonide is a synthetic analogue of a hormone secreted by the adrenal cortex; its function is the regulation of carbohydrate and mineral metabolism in tissues.
This preparation is used for treating asthma, asthmatic bronchitis and allergic rhinitis of different etiology. Budesonide OTC is produced in the form of a white-color powder for inhalations. Budesonide is one of the medications containing in Symbicort inhaler.
Symbicort includes Formoterol and Budesonide preparations, which have a different mechanism of action and show an additive effect on reducing the frequency of exacerbations of asthma.
- Not recommended for children under seven years of age
- Hypersensitivity to budesonide or lactose
- Bacterial, viral or fungal infections in the respiratory tract
- Pulmonary tuberculosis
- Cardio-vascular problems like severe arterial hypertension, tachycardia, coronary heart disease, decompensated chronic heart failure and obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
The initial dose of budesonide is as follows:
- adults with bronchial asthma in mild form – 200-400 mcg per day
- children aged from seven to twelve years – 200-400 mcg per day
- adult patients with moderate to severe bronchial asthma – up to 1600 mcg per day.
When the control of asthma is reached, the dose can be reduced to a minimal one that still ensures the necessary clinical effect.
Budesonide in the form of a nasal spray is applied twice a day, in the morning and in the evening; 100 mg in each nasal passage.
Before use, the can should be shaken thoroughly. Insert the mouthpiece into the mouth and press the valve together with a deep inhale. After inhalation, the mouth must be rinsed. A pronounced therapeutic effect is usually observed already on the fifth to seventh day of treatment.
Hoarseness and irritation of the pharyngeal mucosa, cough. Headache, irritation, tremor, agitation, dizziness, sleep disturbances, anxiety, muscle cramps, tachycardia. Hives, exanthema, bronchospasm, pruritus. Behavioral disorders, depression. Suppression of the adrenal gland function, decrease in bone mineral density, growth retardation in children. Increased intraocular pressure, cataract. The drug should be used only as prescribed by the doctor.